I only go to the Elementary school 2 days a week, and have already been to several assemblies. I know there are some that I miss too! Every other Friday, they do what is called"Ashley Live!" and it is the last 30 minutes of school; a mini pep rally kind of thing. Again, these are on Friday, but I have been to one. They truly are a waste of time.
We had an assembly today. It was 2 cops that came to talk about being Drug free, no bullying, etc. Only there was martial arts, and a ginormous trampoline involved. I don't really remember the talking that was done about drugs, but I was thoroughly entertained. One police officer was doing double back and front flips, body twists, and landing all cool on the trampoline. The other cop did some amazing tricks with num chucks, samari swords, baby samari swords, etc. I thought they were fake.. but apparently they were real swords... the kids loved it as well.
I like assemblies. It is a nice break from the day. But I can see how the teachers get annoyed with them happening so often and taking away from lesson time. The state and district puts so much pressure on teachers to get all the material taught and mastered, but they schedule these events that take 20 minutes to get from the hallway to all kids sitting on the floor calm and collected. and then its a 30 minute assembly, and then exiting with all of the kids is a nightmare. There is a system in place, but there is a lot of waiting around... especially for the fourth graders since they're older.
The other assembly that I thought was entertaining was one with 4 firefighters.. they were dressed up as clowns.. and the point of the assembly was safety. You know, wear a helmet when riding a bike, look both ways when crossing the street, don't talk to strangers, etc. they had this big set and electronic special effects and they even include some adult humor in it for the adults.
No comments:
Post a Comment